I am sorry you are here. I recommend you tell her there is a long road to rebuilding trust and you don’t see, after so many failures on her part, how she could be up for it, but she is welcome to try. Make clear that she knows that you make no promises to stay. And that at any time you reserve the right to end it (including right now, if that is what you feel).
Then, I recommend you tell her that the path to rebuilding starts with these first few steps:
1) she finds a therapist that specializes in Infidelity and start working with them (twice a week at first) and stay in treatment for at least a year
2) you will find and schedule a polygraph test to verify what she is saying. Let her know that she will answer questions about if they touched, if they kissed and if they had sexual intercourse among others. And that she will submit to a second polygraph to confirm if you decide it is necessary.
3) that she write you a timeline of all the inappropriate interactions she has had over the course of your long relationship. That she, to the best of her recollection, not only detail every inappropriate word or text, and every physical aspect (He put his hand under my shirt and massaged my breast. I slid my hand inside his shorts and massaged his penis) but also what she was thinking and feeling before, during and after. After writing it, she will read it to you.
Make it clear that if she wants to have a chance with you, and become a person worthy of being your life partner, she will tell you all the times she cheated in any way (from flirting to full on sex) that YOU DO NOT KNOW ABOUT. It will be a waste of time to recover from only a partial list of what she has done.
4) she will consent to not only let you recover anything from her phone, but going forward she will consent to instant spot checks of her phone with no complaint or making you feel bad in any way. This consequence is her fault and her fault alone and you should require that she actual say those words if you are going to give her a chance.
Also if she wants to truly do the work and prove to you that she can become a safe partner she will have no issue with you cloning her phone so you actually can have another phone that replicates everything she does on her phone. I don’t know android but if you can’t do that on an android she will switch to an iPhone so you can get another one that can be cloned.
5) she will write you a series of letters that explain what it would mean to her if you stayed. Other topics can be why she feels the need to cheat. What she sees your life together will be for the decades to come. And also a letter describing how it must feel to be cheated on and the pain it causes.
6) She gives you back the ring for you to store. If she won’t then you tell her that it’s time to separate and begin the process to end your relationship. If she does you thank her and tell her you will decide if and when she is worthy of being your fiancé again. She obviously knew what she was doing was worthy of losing that status, she pretty much told the AP that she didn’t care. So now it’s time to pay those ramifications.
7) you will order a DNA test and do it on you and your child. Doesn’t matter of you know 100% he is yours. Performing the test will have impact on her as a ramification of what she has done. And you have the right to know one way or another definitely if he is yours. If he is not biologically yours he still can be emotionally and you can still be a father to him in every way. But from now on you deal in truths and this is one of them. Let her know she should not make you feel bad for doing this and that she only need be angry with herself for causing this doubt, not you.
8) no more male friends. No being with men alone ever. This will be hard for her. But she has shown she cannot handle it. I expect this will be a deal breaker. If she has to text a man, for any reason, she includes you in a group text. This is another ramification of her action. If she loves you as she says, she will willingly do this for you and your relationship.
My friend, finally tell her you can see a path back into your heart, but she needs to become a different person than she is right now. Remind her that she is welcome to leave and go be with any AP she wants. Let her know that you want to find a partner that only has you in her heart and no one else. That if she still has these other men, is pining away for them, then to not waste your time. Go be with them. You have little time to waste on someone who is not all in with you.
And tell her you are definitely going to find that person. If it’s her, that is up to what she does next. That road will not be easy for her, and you can’t see how she is up for it. But lastly tell her, until she care more about your heart and the pain it’s feeling than her own, she will never be worthy of a life with you.
True partners put their significant others happiness above their own. If both partners do that then that nearly guarantees that both will find that happiness together. If only one does, it ensures that neither will end up looking back on a truly satisfying relationship.
I am sure they did more that night. But honestly it doesn’t matter in the end. What’s important is that she went in the first place. That she knew how it would make you feel, and that she had in her heart feelings for someone other than you and she put those above those for the man she agreed to protect by taking that ring.
Honestly I think you should break up completely and tell her that if she needs to pursue something else, here’s her chance to do that and you will take the opportunity to heal yourself and eventually find true love.
But if you cannot bring yourself to do that yet, please at least think about doing what I recommend above. You should at this point honestly tell her, at every step of the way, what you need in order to stay and keep trying. So outline the above steps to her and make clear that every one is REQUIRED if she is interested in a chance to rebuild.
And if she falls short know she is only doing so because she places the ability to interact romantically and physically with other men higher above the importance of a life with you.
If she refuses to do any or all of these things then I’m afraid you need to come to terms with the fact that she is not your life partner, let alone a soul mate, and find the strength to tell her you are moving on. It’s hard, but over time you will find that power in yourself to make it happen.
I wish you well.
[This message edited by Stevesn at 12:06 PM, March 29th (Monday)]