Just some snarky thoughts I had a few years back.
I understand that sometimes LTAs “seem” to work out for years. But this is for everyone like me sitting there wondering why did they "choose" this other person? Well, I have realized that their affair and everything surrounding it completely changed my Ex into a healthy person. It’s so incredible how sex with an affair partner leads to such deep self-actualization (as Cat says - finding themselves by looking in someone else's pants). This is an idea of how “their” lurve story might unfold:
• They will do lots of soul searching and work on themselves. Will immediately go to IC and be honest, transparent, and vulnerable. They will tell the IC how much they have screwed up their lives and need help. They will own their mess. AP will encourage this because they love and respect their soul mate who has shown them everything about their true self. No one else have ever been able to understand the real them.
• They buy lots of self-help books, actually read them, and actually mostly understand them. Some even highlight and do the exercises and everything.
• They will take their AP partner to couples counseling because it’s so romantic. They will tell MC everything about their affair. Usually they’ll go and get matching airbrushed t-shirts right afterwards to showcase their deep intimacy. Send one to MC too because they are also a champion of this relationship.
• No one will ever have to pay a bill or get a job or make dinner or take care of children. No one will ever get sick or old or have to deal with a real-world problem. Just press a button and everything falls into place while they are busy in bed. Spend all day in bed if possible.
• Their life plan consists solely of “being together.” Because what else could anyone ever need? This person is my everything.
• They will never ever show their real selves to each other. This can be sustained for a long time, but one day – perhaps in a time of stress, illness, or neediness - it might reveal itself. It won’t matter though, because lurve sustains all crappy behavior forever and ever. And we are different than everyone else.
• Neither one of them will ever cheat on the other because undoubtedly they are too special for that. Plus, the only reason they ever cheated was because ________ and everything is so different in this situation. Including them.
• Once they dismount the skittle-farting unicorns and wipe off the glitter, they will never ever get bored with each other.
• If someone goes through a divorce, loses their job, has financial hardships, kids not wanting to see them, people judging them, or they get embarrassed publicly – it won’t affect the relationship at all because their lurve is stronger than the stupid crap in the real world. Shrug off anything that stinks of consequences as no one “gets them.”
• Everyone will always accept them – all of your friends, family members, hey – even you. They get invited everywhere together especially at their coming-out balls. All three of you get together as often as you can. You even host a party for them. Make sure to hire a clown.
• Every time someone asks them how they met, they truthfully tell the whole beautiful story in full detail. They even borrow all of the affair evidence you have (texts, emails, pictures, VAR files, all of it). Everyone oohs and ahhs and says it’s the most amazing story they’ve ever heard.
• Since their lives are built on such honesty together, they will never get suspicious, start snooping, wondering where the other is, or try to figure out why the other is disengaging from the relationship. They would never resort to such behavior.
• They will always put the other’s needs above their own. They are completely selfless in this relationship and will never ever need anything from the other. Just being in the presence of their true soul mate will always be enough. What more is there really?