Cookies on SurvivingInfidelity.com®

SurvivingInfidelity.com® uses cookies to enhance your visit to our website. This is a requirement for participants to login, post and use other features. Visitors may opt out, but the website will be less functional for you.

more information about cookies...

Return to Forum List

Return to Divorce/Separation

SurvivingInfidelity.com® > Divorce/Separation

You are not logged in. Login here or register.

Alimony collection

Simplicity posted 4/1/2021 07:12 AM

Hello! it's been a long time since I've posted. Life has been stable. In limbo with someone, partly due to pandemic restrictions, partly other reasons. I have been collecting alimony, and I have it collected by the state, as per my lawyer's advice (as well as having read it here). It's pretty good, nice easy direct deposits that just say collected by the state, and I never have to deposit a check from that guy. Everything has been smooth for over two years. However, this month a strange amount that is also MUCH lower than the amount that is supposed to be was deposited. At what point do I contact the state agency? I am somewhat annoyed, but also surprised, since I'm pretty sure he's a set it and forget it sort of person.

barcher144 posted 4/1/2021 07:47 AM

I'm on the other end of your alimony situation. In my case, the money is collected from some sort of government agency who is somehow connected with my employer (i.e., alimony and child support is deducted from my paycheck).

I have contact information for the government agency that takes the money from my paycheck and gives it to xWW.

I would just go ahead and contact that agency if you have questions.

My guess is that they are doing some sort of correction to your payments (i.e., past over payment)... but that's just a guess. For example, in my case... I get paid every-other-week... but alimony/child support is a monthly payment. So, my guess is that they didn't do the math perfectly and they had to do an adjustment. Just a stab in the dark... maybe I am half-baked.

grubs posted 4/1/2021 11:42 AM

Right away with the state agency and check in with the court records to make sure he didn't file for an adjustment that you weren't notified on.

Simplicity posted 4/2/2021 09:04 AM

You were all right. The paper work for collection was done wrong, so I have to get my lawyer to fix it to continue. Sigh. If there is ever a problem, ALWAYS CALL ASAP. Now I wish I called yesterday!

Planetx posted 4/7/2021 18:29 PM

Let them know right away. I'm not sure if that agency is similar to the one that handles child support, but it took weeks to be assigned a case worker and to get things going.

Simplicity posted 4/19/2021 21:13 PM

Update: So I called my lawyer about this, and she got her legal aid to get on it right away, and it's been sorted out. The next thing is for the agency to get my ex to pay up. Hopefully he will get his notice and pay up soon with as little issue and fanfare. Thanks for the support all!

homewrecked2011 posted 4/19/2021 21:26 PM


Return to Forum List

Return to Divorce/Separation

© 2002-2021 SurvivingInfidelity.com ®. All Rights Reserved.     Privacy Policy