Cookies are required for login or registration. Please read and agree to our cookie policy to continue.

Newest Member: Mj57

Off Topic :
Tell me your expereices with allergies

DragnHeart (original poster member #32122) posted at 9:31 PM on Friday, July 26th, 2024

As if life isn't throwing enough curve balls at us, today we discovered DD is allergic to EVERYTHING!

She started having severe itch and hives any time she got exposed to cold. We saw the allergist today finally,and not only is she allergic to the cold, when they did the skin test, she reacted to everything!

Chocolate, apples, oranges, garlic, eggs, Cabbage, grass, weeds, trees just to name a few. The BIG reactions were to cows milk and shellfish/fish. She now has a prescription for an EpiPen.

The cows milk totally explains why she was a fussy and sickly baby. I wish the doctors would have listened to me when I told them I believed she was allergic to eggs after she ate some scrambled eggs and broke out in a rash.

Allergist said she may grow out of the reaction to cold which is good but she may develope more severe reactions to the things that showed up lower on the test.

The EpiPen he prescribed is smaller than what I've seen and it has a automated voice that tells you step by step how to use it. It's neat.

Anyone here have similar allergies? Should I get dd a medical alert braclet/necklace? The poor kid wanted to try lobster. That's a no no. She doesn't drink milk but loves ice cream. Do they make ice cream with goats milk?

Is there anything else I can do or should do for her?

Me: BS 46 WH: 37 (BrokenHeart911)Four little dragons. Met 2006. Married 2008. Dday of LTPA with co worker October 19th 2010. Knew about EA with ow1 before that. Now up to PA #5. Serial fucking Cheater.

posts: 25815   ·   registered: May. 10th, 2011   ·   location: Canada
id 8843582

BearlyBreathing ( member #55075) posted at 2:28 AM on Saturday, July 27th, 2024

I’m allergic to a lot of plants but not much food. I have sensitivity to milk and wheat and eggplant. (Did all those patch tests with the allergist) . There is great ben and Jerry with almond milk that I eat. Lots of non-dairy options these days .

I did the shots ( 3 shots) weekly for about a year. Hard to say if they helped, but moving to California helped a lot to get me away from ragweed. I use Flonase from March to October for the hay fever type allergies.

I’m sure our medical folks will have educated opinions, but if she needs an epi-pen then a bracelet seems like a good idea.

Me: BS 57 (49 on d-day)Him: *who cares ;-) *. D-Day 8/15/2016 LTA. Kinda liking my new life :-)

**horrible typist, lots of edits to correct. :-/ **

posts: 6126   ·   registered: Sep. 10th, 2016   ·   location: Northern CA
id 8843597

leafields ( Guide #63517) posted at 3:59 AM on Saturday, July 27th, 2024

Two of my boys were lactose intolerant as babies and were on soy formula. As they got older, acidophilus milk was something they could drink. The pediatrician said that at about 2, they might outgrow the lactose issue but it might return as they got older.

After abdominal surgery, I became lactose intolerant. I use lactose-free milk and can use it for cooking (gravy, clam chowder), and I carry lactaid tablets with me. For cheese, the harder cheeses have less lactose. I can eat most cheeses, but have to use lactaid tablets before eating sour cream or ice cream and keep it around 4 oz. Goat's milk and acidophilus milk made me sick, as did the ultra-pasturized Fairlife milk. There are some good ice creams out there made with soy or coconut milk. I've also frozen a banana and it is very good.

It's do-able, you'll just need to work around some of her issues.

BW M 34years, Dday 1: March 2018, Dday 2: August 2019, D final 2/25/21

posts: 3696   ·   registered: Apr. 21st, 2018   ·   location: Washington State
id 8843598

DragnHeart (original poster member #32122) posted at 5:03 AM on Saturday, July 27th, 2024

I guess dd being a very picky eater has helped her. She doesn't like cheese or sour cream. And she rarely drinks milk other than chocolate milk. She did try shrimp once but said her tongue felt weird so never ate it again. She has eaten mussels, but usually only 2 or 3 and she would be done. We have caught and cooked fresh fish which she didn't have any reaction to but it came up high on the test.

Dd does like an iced coffee now and then so I'll have to get some non dairy creamer for her.

I'm still so shocked. The nurse did the test then moved onto another patient saying to wait for a few minutes. The reactions were almost instant. Dd got very itchy and every where they marked her welted up and got red. When the nurse came back she started to say "let's see what..." and then just stopped looking as shocked as I was.

Me: BS 46 WH: 37 (BrokenHeart911)Four little dragons. Met 2006. Married 2008. Dday of LTPA with co worker October 19th 2010. Knew about EA with ow1 before that. Now up to PA #5. Serial fucking Cheater.

posts: 25815   ·   registered: May. 10th, 2011   ·   location: Canada
id 8843601

tushnurse ( member #21101) posted at 6:29 PM on Saturday, July 27th, 2024

As far as ice cream goes if she didn't react to whey them you can make ice cream with protein shakes there's a zillion recipes on line. Can also try using an almond milk base. Plant based protein powders are an option too.

Yes of she had anaphylaxis and needed epi she needs a bracelet and to have one with her 100% of the time. Ask the dr about daily meds for prevention of strong reactions. One of the pharmacists I work with says this is a newer thing they are doing with kids.

Me: FBSHim: FWSKids: 23 & 27 Married for 32 years now, was 16 at the time.D-Day Sept 26 2008R'd in about 2 years. Old Vet now.

posts: 20233   ·   registered: Oct. 1st, 2008   ·   location: St. Louis
id 8843615

Too_Trusting ( member #99) posted at 7:49 PM on Saturday, July 27th, 2024

I went through allergy tests about 1.5 years ago, and was allergic to literally everything I was tested for. All trees, grass, pollen, molds,dust, and as an added bonus, dogs and cats. crying The pets were especially hard for me because I ADORE all animals, and also make my living petsitting and walking dogs. I also have 2 dogs that I have no intention of rehoming. Sooooooo, I signed up for the shots. I was also given an Rx for epi-pen, but my understanding was that the epi was just "insurance" if I had a reaction to any of my shots. Thank goodness, haven't had to use it.

I wasn't tested for any foods, so perhaps that's something that's more prevalent in children?

I will say that the shots have helped quite a bit. I'm on a maintenance dose now and only take shots every 7-14 days, rather than 2x week. My symptoms were all respiratory; never had any hives/itching.

IDK if any of this is helpful, but just sharing my allergy journey. smile

"Anyone perfect must be lying; anything easy has its cost. Anyone plain can be lovely; anyone loved can be lost." Barenaked Ladies

posts: 23449   ·   registered: Jun. 13th, 2002   ·   location: North Carolina
id 8843622

tushnurse ( member #21101) posted at 11:30 PM on Saturday, July 27th, 2024

Too - usually rashes hives and skinnissies are related to food allergies so that is most likely why they did not test you for foods.

Me: FBSHim: FWSKids: 23 & 27 Married for 32 years now, was 16 at the time.D-Day Sept 26 2008R'd in about 2 years. Old Vet now.

posts: 20233   ·   registered: Oct. 1st, 2008   ·   location: St. Louis
id 8843631

SackOfSorry ( member #83195) posted at 2:19 AM on Sunday, July 28th, 2024

My mom and my brother are allergic to a lot of things. My brother is allergic to some weed that apparently only grows in the Mojave desert, which always seemed pretty bizarre to me since we don't live anywhere near there.

My mom is allergic to pet dander - that's her worst one. She took allergy injections for years. Every week for a long time. Every 2 weeks for a long time. Then less as time wore on but we're talking 40, 50 years here. And then they decided to stop about 10 years ago, said they didn't think she needed them anymore. She was super worried, but she's been fine. She's around my brother's two dogs sometimes, and my two sometimes, and she certainly doesn't have reactions like she would when I was a kid. I remember, as a child, having to call my grandparents to come and take her to the hospital when she'd have terrible allergic reactions. It seems strange that she finally outgrew something so awful.

Me - BW
DDay - May 4, 2013

And nothing's quite as sure as change. (The Mamas and the Papas)

id 8843634

sisoon ( Moderator #31240) posted at 6:00 PM on Sunday, July 28th, 2024

I'm highly allergic to trees, grass, pollen, molds, dust, and I've tested positive to eggs and cats. I also had a reaction to penicillin when I was 22. The egg and cat allergies were mild, and I eat eggs and lived with a cat for a while without any problem that I notice. My symptoms are respiratory. I used a steroid spray during the allergy seasons, and my doc said he didn't understand why I didn't use one all year round. I do now, which may be a comment on our house cleaning, but ....

Peanuts give me terrible headaches. You should see our almond butter bill. smile

My W has a limited diet - no gluten or dairy, no tomatoes, only a few fish (fortunately she can eat tuna and salmon), very limited sugar and chocolate. She feels awful if she eats anything not on the list. We make do, but it makes going out to eat less attractive than it would otherwise be.

My very strong reco is to start working on a list of what your kids can eat. You'll still have to check labels very carefully, but I think you'll find shopping easier if you focus on the positive (can eat) rather than the negative (can't eat) - that way you can ignore most of the foods on supermarket shelves and navigate the aisles more quickly.

fBH (me) - on d-day: 66, Married 43, together 45, same sex ap
DDay - 12/22/2010
Recover'd and R'ed
You don't have to like your boundaries. You just have to set and enforce them.

posts: 30158   ·   registered: Feb. 18th, 2011   ·   location: Illinois
id 8843654
Cookies on SurvivingInfidelity.com®

SurvivingInfidelity.com® uses cookies to enhance your visit to our website. This is a requirement for participants to login, post and use other features. Visitors may opt out, but the website will be less functional for you.

v.1.001.20240905a 2002-2024 SurvivingInfidelity.com® All Rights Reserved. • Privacy Policy