Cookies are required for login or registration. Please read and agree to our cookie policy to continue.

Newest Member: Taikor

Divorce/Separation :
Anyone recently divorced in.the UK?

Topic is Sleeping.

 DebraVation (original poster member #51156) posted at 6:40 PM on Friday, April 7th, 2023

Hi, Wh and I have filed for divorce this week. We have done it through the new (2022) no-fault divorce route and filed it jointly online. He filled in his part yesterday.

So far so good.

Now the tricky bit - the finances. For assets such as the house and savings it is pretty straightforward - value them and split it. Likewise the child support because the government gives a formula for working out the minimum amount.

BUT when it comes to pensions, how did people calculate this? I have a reasonable pension but his will be more than mine. Do you need to get a solicitor involved at this point, or will the mediator help if we get one? Or if we ask for a Financial settlement does the court calculate it?

Have you taken a share of the pension and transferred it to your name, or offset it against other assets and netted them off?

Likewise, spousal support? Is there even such a thing? Again would the court calculate this?

Thank you in advance.

It is meant to be a new straightforward system but I have no clue what to do with these couple of things.

posts: 1609   ·   registered: Jan. 6th, 2016   ·   location: UK
id 8786185

UKgirl ( member #17062) posted at 6:49 PM on Thursday, April 13th, 2023

My suggestion is that you ask at the Citizens Advice Bureau and they may point you in the direction of either an independent financial advisor or a solicitor or both. They will also have leaflets on divorce to help guide you. Good luck!

Affair1: Dday 30/07/06 LTA: 5yrs ex-fiancee Affair2: Dday 04/09/20 9mths another XHSgf.Me/BS, still young. Him/WS, old. 4 grown boysHaving an affair because you are unhappy is like eating Ex-lax because you are hungry - unfound's mom

posts: 4043   ·   registered: Nov. 17th, 2007   ·   location: UK
id 8786754

Gracey ( member #79334) posted at 12:31 AM on Friday, April 14th, 2023

Hi not getting divorced at moment however did see solicitor after discovering WH’s A and spousal support in UK has to be applied for through court and they decide if your entitled depending on earnings, ability to earn etc. I think a solicitor is best for this as its pretty complicated. Hope that helps.

Together 34 years Married. 17 years

posts: 96   ·   registered: Aug. 27th, 2021   ·   location: United Kingdom
id 8786795

EyesOpened50 ( member #54610) posted at 1:06 PM on Friday, April 14th, 2023

Ideally if you can sort things out yourselves, maybe with the help of a solicitor - keeping the costs low but also a fair guide on everything! You’ll both need to get the CETV - cash equivalent transfer values for the pensions first so you can see in todays terms but also be aware of the financial situation going forward, spousal maintenance etc.

posts: 82   ·   registered: Aug. 11th, 2016   ·   location: UK
id 8786836

 DebraVation (original poster member #51156) posted at 11:04 AM on Sunday, April 16th, 2023

Thank you everyone who has replied. I have a friend who is a solicitor (but not specialising in this area) and she has recommended me a solicitor to see. I have sent an email requesting an initial consultation and made a list of questions/things that need sorting out. I will dig out whatever information I can about what pensions we have etc ahead of that meeting and take it from there.

Thanks again.

posts: 1609   ·   registered: Jan. 6th, 2016   ·   location: UK
id 8787074
Topic is Sleeping.
Cookies on®® uses cookies to enhance your visit to our website. This is a requirement for participants to login, post and use other features. Visitors may opt out, but the website will be less functional for you.

v.1.001.20240412a 2002-2024® All Rights Reserved. • Privacy Policy