Cookies on SurvivingInfidelity.com®

SurvivingInfidelity.com® uses cookies to enhance your visit to our website. This is a requirement for participants to login, post and use other features. Visitors may opt out, but the website will be less functional for you.

more information about cookies...

Return to Forum List

Return to Wayward Side

SurvivingInfidelity.com® > Wayward Side

You are not logged in. Login here or register.

Psychiatrist vs Psychologist

ff4152 posted 11/1/2019 17:24 PM

For those that have done IC, aside from prescribing meds, is there any real difference in the quality or type of care you receive?

Iíve always seen psychologists. Some have been good, some meh and one almost cost me my life.

I would be interested to hear from you folks about your experiences and opinions on one vs the other.

Jameson1977 posted 11/1/2019 17:59 PM

I've seen a psychiatrist, psychologist and registered counselors.

My understanding is that psychiatrists are more for dealing with the immediate issues (depression, anxiety, suicide, etc.) while psychologists are better suited for managing the issues on a longer term. In Canada, psychiatrists are covered under health care, unlimited visits, where psychologists are not, which tells me psychiatrists are critical care vs. maintenance.

I found the best councelling was from the registered counselors, but just my experience.

sisoon posted 11/2/2019 10:48 AM

Psychiatrists nowadays primarily prescribe drugs. For the most part, at least in big US cities, they don't do talk therapy.

Psychologists (Ph.D., Psy. D.), social workers (LCSW in the US), licensed counselors (LCPC), etc., do talk therapy using one or more modalities (TA, Gestalt, CBT, etc., etc., etc.).

Adlham posted 11/2/2019 10:57 AM

Yeah, what Sisoon said. Jameson, too.

During the worst of my depression, I saw a psychiatrist who managed my meds and a psychologist who helped me manage my emotional/mental needs.

And they worked in the same office.

Hutch posted 11/11/2019 03:05 AM

Iíve only ever had psychologists. For IC, thatís who has been there when I research docs in my area specifically for IC. I imagine psychiatrists are more ďclinicalĒ in terms of meds and the ability to prescribe them, but I could be wrong.

I think the best advice I can give is regardless, feel comfortable with that person and donít feel bad if you decide to change to another person.

Lionne posted 11/11/2019 07:14 AM

Both my son and husband were FINALLY diagnosed bipolar. My husband saw a psychiatrist at a nearby teaching university as part of a clinical study. They found the meds that work best for him. He's followed up with a local psychiatrist who does nothing but manage his meds.
When my son has his first manic episode I insisted he see a private psychiatrist, not the ones who took his insurance. I paid OOP. Wasn't cheap, but he took the time to get a comprehensive history (from me) and to take his time with my son. He also mostly managed meds now, but there is a fair amount of talking so he can evaluate the medicine's continued efficacy.
Brain based illness is still in the dark ages in terms of treatment. It behooves you to find the best practitioner you can.
And, IMO/E, is you are taking a medicine for a mental illness you should also have a talk therapist, and try a few till you find one that fits.

Return to Forum List

Return to Wayward Side

© 2002-2021 SurvivingInfidelity.com ®. All Rights Reserved.     Privacy Policy