Cookies are required for login or registration. Please read and agree to our cookie policy to continue.

Newest Member: Pepper66

General :
Old feelings, new trauma, just…. F M L

HFSSC (original poster member #33338) posted at 1:35 AM on Sunday, September 8th, 2024

Some of you may have seen my threads in OT. But this one definitely skirts ON topic so here we are.

This time 16 years ago I was preparing to go to rehab. Things were really bad between JM and me. He’d been chatting with his previous gf and we’d had a couple of big fights about it. I remember telling him that my biggest fear was him hooking up with this xgf while I was gone. He promised me, swore a sacred oath, all that stuff, that he would not do anything like that. Well, 30 days later plus a few days, I find a sweet little romantic e-card he’d sent to her. Phone records proved he’d spent hours on the phone with her, while I was allowed 30 minutes twice a week to talk to him and our kids. This was actually not the A that broke us. He refused MC and I knew I couldn’t stay sober and walk away from my M at the same time.

So of course, nothing changed with us. And a couple of years later the A that broke us happened. Blah blah blah, S then false R and then S again and then true R. Things were really good. Are still good.

But tomorrow morning he is driving several states away. For something like rehab. His PTSD is off the rails. The ketamine treatments and EMDR were very helpful. Until they weren’t. He snapped 2 weeks ago. OD’ed on clonazepam. He was unresponsive for about 36 hours and did not wake up well. He was hallucinating and fighting. Our younger son was planning to stay the night with him so he was in the room. I went to the bedside and just said "Baby, you’re safe. You’re in the hospital and I am here." Y’all, his eyes opened but he did not see me. And he reached up suddenly and grabbed the neck of my shirt. He yanked me down across the bed rail. Our son acted fast and was able to get JM’s hands loose. He was also able to talk him down and JM went back to sleep/unconsciousness whatever you want to call it.

It took me 2 weeks to process this and recognize it as very real trauma. Isn’t that crazy??? He. Choked. Me. It wasn’t me he was trying to choke. He was certainly not in his right mind. He doesn’t even remember it. In fact he doesn’t remember anything from Wednesday through about Sunday of that week. But it was his hands and my throat. I remember it all. Our son remembers it all.

And it’s just so… bizarre. The timing of it. I’m grateful for 16 years of sobriety. I’m grateful for 13 years of a truly reconciled and rebuilt M. But I am shaken and sad and I don’t even know what. In 28 years I have never been afraid of him. But in the mornings I don’t want to wake him up. It sucks. I have been in IC again since about February when all hell broke loose in our family… our niece and her boyfriend were running a meth operation on the property we all live on. I’m stepping up my visits with her.

And so tomorrow, JM is off to a PTSD residential treatment center. 4-6 weeks is the time frame we were given. It is far enough away that it’s unlikely I will be able to visit. Maybe that’s a good thing.

Oh, FFS. I’m just word vomiting here. Please keep us in your thoughts/prayers. For his safety driving, and for a breakthrough in his treatment. For me to find a way through this mess of trauma and yucky feelings. My default is to take care of him. That’s obviously not really healthy. So I have to find a way to sit with this discomfort knowing it won’t kill me, even if it feels like that.

Me, 56
Him, 48 (JMSSC)
Married 26 years. Reconciled.

posts: 4962   ·   registered: Sep. 12th, 2011   ·   location: South Carolina
id 8847877

BearlyBreathing ( member #55075) posted at 4:06 AM on Sunday, September 8th, 2024

JM is getting the help he desperately needs and he will be safe. This will give you the space to exhale, breathe deeply, and process all this mess. You absolutely are traumatized. You need to process this and feel it. You’ve been on fight mode for so long now, I’m sure your entire system is wound up so tight.

Take this time for YOU knowing JM will be in good hands and getting help you cannot provide.

Take care of you.

Me: BS 57 (49 on d-day)Him: *who cares ;-) *. D-Day 8/15/2016 LTA. Kinda liking my new life :-)

**horrible typist, lots of edits to correct. :-/ **

posts: 6140   ·   registered: Sep. 10th, 2016   ·   location: Northern CA
id 8847881

The1stWife ( Guide #58832) posted at 12:33 PM on Sunday, September 8th, 2024

Prayers to you and your family.

Survived two affairs and brink of Divorce. Happily reconciled. 10 years out from Dday. Reconciliation takes two committed people to be successful.

id 8847897

12many24give ( new member #84942) posted at 1:37 PM on Sunday, September 8th, 2024

I do understand that very real moment when your loved one is truly hallucinating. Our adult child suffers from bipolar and when medications were "wrong" this happened and it was as if it was a super-human in front of me with the strength and raw anger behind "empty eyes". It is truly terrifying. What stinks is they have zero memory of it, yet we will never be able to forget it, and fear them.

My heart goes out to you with the struggles you are facing. I hear you trying to take care of yourself, and that is all you really can do.

I'm treading water right there with you, waiting for the lifeboat to arrive (which really will never come, since it exists within ourselves.) Just know, you aren't alone.

BW (59), married 35yrs,DD1 (30yrs ago, LT-PA with my best friend), DD2 (10 yrs ago, with disclosure of 5 more LT-PA over entire 35 yrs)

posts: 11   ·   registered: Jun. 12th, 2024   ·   location: Chicago, IL
id 8847902

sisoon ( Moderator #31240) posted at 4:21 PM on Sunday, September 8th, 2024

I think I can understand at least a bit of your story - PTSD trumps love. For the life of me, I have no advice. You'll know more in 4-6 weeks.

My heart goes out to you and JM. Your faith has given you tremendous help so far. It will help you here.

Also, you've been off drugs for 13 years. I would feel despair in your sitch. Whatever you feel, staying off drugs will help you now. You know that and will act on that. I just think repeating it might help a tiny bit.

(((HFSSC)))

fBH (me) - on d-day: 66, Married 43, together 45, same sex ap
DDay - 12/22/2010
Recover'd and R'ed
You don't have to like your boundaries. You just have to set and enforce them.

posts: 30206   ·   registered: Feb. 18th, 2011   ·   location: Illinois
id 8847911
Cookies on SurvivingInfidelity.com®

SurvivingInfidelity.com® uses cookies to enhance your visit to our website. This is a requirement for participants to login, post and use other features. Visitors may opt out, but the website will be less functional for you.

v.1.001.20240905a 2002-2024 SurvivingInfidelity.com® All Rights Reserved. • Privacy Policy