Cookies are required for login or registration. Please read and agree to our cookie policy to continue.

Newest Member: LostInSkates

Reconciliation :
Acceptance in Reconciliation

default

 Joshrucker17 (original poster new member #87833) posted at 10:53 PM on Friday, October 2nd, 2026

So, I’m currently trying to reconcile with my ex-wife after a 3-1/2 year affair was disclosed to me in May of ‘25 in which she said she was in love with him, lead to divorce. Her AP was 18 years younger than her and only a year older than my oldest daughter, my daughter and he went to the same high school. She was 41 when it began and he was 23.

It started from the dreaded Snapchat! She has a history of being unfaithful or inappropriate in our relationship, she first cheated on me after only 9 months of dating. The first marriage affair was in ‘08 when she was 26 and he was 19 at a place they worked together. I had to beg her to stay with me for our kids sake then. Things got better for about 12 years until 2020 when Covid hit. She couldn’t go to work and our youngest, special needs child wasn’t sleeping well at night, so she began to play Fortnite online to pass the time. She befriended a 19 year old while gaming l, she was 28 at the time and I knew about it and thought nothing of it. I was unaware that they had been snap chatting and texting for months and when I found out, I thought that was the final straw, she claimed it was purely innocent and she only thought of him a her buddy. I contacted an attorney and threatened a divorce. I was tired of her behaviors.

We worked through all of that but the resentment and anger grew in me, I became very distant and often cold toward her. There was major friction between us. In ‘22, I later found out that she had started snap chatting and even sexting at least a few different young men, one of which became her AP.

The night she disclosed to me, she said it was because she couldn’t handle the consuming guilt anymore, so she told me everything. I left my home that night. We tried to talk through it and immediately began therapy but she became increasingly more distant, cold, and quite frankly just an asshole to me, like I had betrayed her. About a month after D day, she said she wanted divorce because I was being too pushy and wanted everything fixed too quickly, she would never file though. After 2 months of begging her to at least acknowledge she wanted the marriage to work (which she never did say the words), I filed for divorce in July of ‘25. She said she was okay with it and she needed to work on herself.

In October of ‘25 she began to see her AP again for about 5 more months. We had been split for about 5 months already when they reunited. I found out / days after Christmas and confronted her about it . It really angered me because she had promised our daughters that it was over. She said to me that day that she really loved him and needed to see where it could go. They didn’t last too terribly long after I confronted her, I had already been moving on with my life, still missing her though. Our divorce finalized in June of this last year and we began to start talking reconciliation in July. We’ve been working on it since.

I’m having such a hard time really accepting and letting go of what she was so willing to do, and for so long. Of course it kills me to think about the sex, but the emotions cut even deeper. Knowing that my wife of so long, the only person I had ever been with, actually fell in love with someone else. She now says she sees it all clearly and for what it actually was. Not real love at all, but more of an addiction.

How does one really ever get to the point of acceptance to be able to build a new future with a spouse??

Josh Tucker

posts: 1   ·   registered: Oct. 2nd, 2026   ·   location: Wichita,Ks
id 8906844
default

Oldwounds ( member #54486) posted at 2:08 AM on Saturday, October 3rd, 2026

I only ever have to accept that it happened — I don’t ever have to be happy or even okay with the infidelity.

I’m ten years reconciled and hating that the A happened is part of my making peace with my wife.

For me, the work we did to move back toward each other became the R and that work became the M.

No one is owed a last chance, but if you offer it, it then is about what your wife (or ex-wife) does with said opportunity.

It took me several YEARS to buy into the changes my wife made to be a better, safer partner (about three years of her consistent actions).

Eventually, I liked who she became, and I let go of focusing on her worst, weakest days (the A).

Married 36+ years, together 41+ years
Two awesome adult sons.
Dday 6/16 4-year LTA Survived.
M Restored
"It is better to conquer our grief than to deceive it." — Seneca

posts: 5211   ·   registered: Aug. 4th, 2016   ·   location: Home.
id 8906856
default

Pogre ( member #86173) posted at 2:18 AM on Saturday, October 3rd, 2026

Josh, you have a serial cheater for an ex wife, and you managed you actually divorce her. Why is it that you would want to pursue another relationship with her?

How does one really ever get to the point of acceptance to be able to build a new future with a spouse??

It's extremely difficult to reconcile with the "perfect" wayward spouse. Those feelings you talk about above may never go away. In fact the pain from betrayal trauma can linger for the rest of your life to varying degrees. Some folks can make it work and manage to get to a point where it doesn't dominate your thoughts all of the time, but the scar will always be there.

I gotta be honest, your story sounds littered with betrayal. I'm not sure if you'd ever truly "get over" it. Maybe with lots of counseling and a real, concerted effort from your ex the likes of which you've never seen before, but she would have to do so much work on herself before I would even consider a slight chance that she'd be a safe partner again. Like a monumental amount of change and effort on her behalf. You've already cut your losses. I'm not so sure if it's a good idea to take that back on again.

Where am I going... and why am I in this handbasket?

posts: 1049   ·   registered: May. 18th, 2025   ·   location: Arizona
id 8906857
Cookies on SurvivingInfidelity.com®

SurvivingInfidelity.com® uses cookies to enhance your visit to our website. This is a requirement for participants to login, post and use other features. Visitors may opt out, but the website will be less functional for you.

v.1.001.20260728a 2002-2026 SurvivingInfidelity.com® All Rights Reserved. • Privacy Policy